Hope you enjoy these poems!
- A Long Time Ago A short funny poem about living in the age of dinosaurs
- A thought? Good God! A cynical poem about conformity
- A time of change A poem about 9/11 questioning the root causes
- Aberration of morality The casual dismissal of destruction as ‘stuff happens’.
- Against the wall Supermarket ‘colleagues’, backs to the wall, low-paid, lip service
- Alien What would you do if an alien landed in the playground?
- As I walked home A poem about the characters met on the walk through life
- Blackberries In the cool chill of a morning
Dew-lapped, birch bark curling proud and the scent of ...
- Change I would tear apart this constricting veil
That chokes my mind and cleats me to this ...
- Chicken-Hawk The chicken-hawk is flightless,
Running on scared little feet:
Yellow-bellied, it doesn’t soar,
But pecks cravenly at the ...
- Christianity and Islam So this is Christianity, they say:
Peopled with the intolerant, the sad,
The wildcards and all those ...
- Curled up like a child Curled up like a child
Or a flower unborn,
Hair fanned out across a pillow rumpled and ...
- D-I-V-O-R-C-E When my Dad left my Mum
They didn’t have a fight.
Mum told him to go ...
- Dog Hater In one end goes squashed brute,
Out of the other end comes pavement-turd,
And in-between is a ...
- Dragon Flying Test Wild wings stepping on the breeze –
Hit the gas,
Dash through space,
Brake and turn,
- Dreams I’d like to magic myself to the moon
And fly across strange seas,
I’d like to drift ...
- Eating Chestnuts Burst open with a stamping foot descending on its chest
The green, spined shell reveals a ...
- Every morning, every day Every morning, every day,
We all meet in the hallway –
Shoes on, hair brushed, coat on ...
- Everyone grows up Everyone grows up, and your adventure is just beginning –
Manhood beckons the child, and the ...
- Eyes like a hawk Eyes like a hawk
As the children play,
Ears like a bat’s
Tuned in like a shark
- Feline Fandango Let’s lick our lips together, side by side –
I kiss, you kiss,
Like lissom sheets of ...
- Ferdie was a pit bull Ferdie was a pit bull,
With a face like squashed-up beef –
His owner washed his coat ...
- Fire Newborn, fierce, a struggle of terror,
Terror pulling at its heart,
Pulling it up, pulling it out,
- Free-spread the wings of mystery Free-spread the wings of mystery,
Free-spread to the hills and dales of my youth,
Yearn for ...
- Freedom Dust Freedom Dust burns to the bone in screaming agony,
Freedom Dust (like French Fries) – sorry, ...
- God Bless America! God bless America! Oh deary me,
God also belongs to the Muslim world too –
Let us ...
- God, I wish I was an ignorant lump of meat God, I wish I was an ignorant lump of meat
To mix unthinking with unthinking sheep,
- Gold Moon High, high flows the moon
In a sea of mackerel waves,
Head-scarved in a glow of quiet,
- Gun Lore It’s a funny mental right of all Merry Bums to bare arms.
With so many bullets ...
- Height was born to distinguish between low and low Height was born
To distinguish between low and low.
Height was sent to
All owed ...
- Hospital Nightmare Once you talked of dying, and my heart gave a heavy thump
As the blood drained ...
- Hours into hours Hours into hours,
And the setting sun my life;
Days into days,
Weeks into weeks,
Years into years,
And at ...
- How to Create a Ghetto – a Dish for one Community First, find some third generation immigrants,
Add some racism and confused cultural identity,
Mix – to create ...
- I am I am: useless, fool, most stupid of them all,
I am Curse, and hide, and sometimes ...
- I am no stranger to these people I am no stranger to these people
But we walk as ghosts
Down the long dryness of ...
- I am the Guardian of treasure I am the Guardian of treasure,
Gate-keeper to another world –
Let all who would come near ...
- I could walk on clouds I could walk on clouds and catch moonbeams in my hands,
Kiss the morning dew as ...
- I had a hope, I touched a dream I had a hope, I touched a dream,
There was no easy way –
I walked into ...
- I have a fog that clouds my feeble brain I have a fog that clouds my feeble brain,
And wraps all sense in veils through ...
- I know what men are I know what men are.
Men drink and are routinely unfaithful,
Can’t see beyond the ends of ...
- I know what women are I know what women are.
Women drag knives down each others’ backs,
Stick in the small-minded safety ...
- I love you when you pick your nose I love you when you pick your nose,
I love you when you fart;
A love like ...
- I met a little dog on the bottom of my shoe I met a little dog
On the bottom of my shoe –
Hello little doggy,
How do you ...
- I want a nuclear-powered wotsit I want a nuclear powered wotsit, Dad,
And I think we should make it now –
- I was 18 when they married me I was 18 when they married me,
16 when I died:
15 and my hopes were full,
- I watched the miracle I watched the whole miracle:
The child on his mother’s arm, walking home,
The teacher leaping in ...
- I’m a rich adventurer I’m a rich adventurer,
I’m crazy for a laugh:
I’ve aquaplaned to Timbuctoo,
I’ve abseiled in a bath.
- I’m not racist BUT … I’m not racist BUT –
These people are inferior to me,
Their kids pick on my kids ...
- Illusions These squares are all an illusion,
Light reflecting onto cells in the eyes,
A brain that interprets ...
- Imagination is a thin frail thing Imagination is a thin frail thing,
A door to worlds unborn, untold:
It slips silent through the ...
- In Love The force of a thousand volcanoes hits me on the back of the head,
The world’s ...
- In the jungle drums will roll In the jungle drums will roll,
Daddy’s boy’s elected –
His brother bent the voting
In the ...
- In the wake of the World Trade Centre, and before going to War I have watched the habits of men: seen how
They articulate all that is best in ...
- In this, the passion of our embrace In this, the passion of our embrace,
Stir embers of a fire lit long ago
When trembling ...
- Is He Bright Enough? they said Is he bright enough? they said,
As I bent my aching head
Around the nonsense they forced ...
- It’s boring being a monster It’s boring being a monster,
Chasing kids around,
Hiding underneath their beds,
Not making any sound –
It’s boring ...
- It’s in the building that the job comes alive It’s in the building that the job comes alive –
The hammering of nails, the grasping ...
- It’s Somebody Else’s Turn – or, Pax America Bye-Bye Amazing how every country in the world has had it’s Empire.
There’s Egypt, of course,
- Katrina In orderly file the rich, white people drove out of desolation.
The sun was dark with ...
- London Calling Falluja
The terrorists destroyed mosques and schools,
Killed maybe a thousand people,
Flattened half the houses.
No comparison to ...
- Losing me I had, inside, a bit that was ‘me’,
That responded to certain calls like a bird ...
- Madman On drugs to scald the heavens,
Bully-necked and the arms of a rower,
To the maddened moon ...
- Me and my video recorder I once programmed a video-recorder –
Sat there for hours growing tetchy and grumpy,
Melded mind with ...
- Meet the Neighbours A UFO flits into existence,
Flips off its lights, hovers.
‘Hmmm’, go the Aliens.
‘Roger, Over and Out,’ ...
- Mister Cat had far to go Mr.Cat had far to go,
In the bitter, driving snow,
To find a shelter for his hide
- Mrs. Conservative She lived in a neat world,
Hair just right, jewellery just so,
Clothes freshly washed, shoes unscuffed,
- My companion The chaos of looking after a baby –
At nought, never more than six inches apart,
- My Golden Girl My golden girl
Sings to the stars
With a voice like the winds
And love deep in her ...
- My Neighbours For twenty years they lived in this country,
Working hard, praying to God, living lives
Of tolerance ...
- My Understanding I lay in Shadow
And looked up at Perspective,
Fancied a wash across a watercoloured sky,
Studied Form, ...
- Nan’s funeral In the cold aloofness of death and the silence of the half-hour tale completed
We rode ...
- News! News!
Spread like wildfire,
Ate their hearts,
Corrupted their minds,
Distracted their spirits,
TO KEEP UP WITH THE NEWS! ...
- Nihilism Every age has its nihilists, for sure,
But nihilists don’t find fertile ground
In the rich and ...
- Nobody in their right mind Nobody in their right mind
Wants to die for Bush or Blair:
War is death pointed out ...
- Notes on ‘Conform, Conform, Conform!’ The overall message? That conformity is embedded into us through society, but sooner or later ...
- Oh Queenie – an odious reflection on the funeral of the Queen Mother Oh Queenie, how the horses mope,
Tugging at that royal rope,
Solemn as they trudge along,
Listening to ...
- Old Times When she said she wanted to see him
He was pleased – at first.
‘Can’t we talk ...
- On a high rock On a high rock under a lonely sky,
Where pink waves crashed and wild birds flying ...
- On silent trees On silent trees, on hanging breeze,
On sun’s shared moments shaping these
A river’s rush cools dappled ...
- On the run The rich became poor:
In Africa the refugees were given no shelter –
Their welcome ran dry ...
- Peacenik gun The Peacenik gun
Blasts from far away,
Designed to ‘ricochet’,
The Peacenik gun is error-proof:
Which is to ...
- Polar Bear How fierce the bear in its’ cage,
All gone to the wind,
All purpose lost in a ...
- Poor Young Men Poor young men.
Driven by sexual hunger they watch the girls in the streets,
Their clothes, the ...
- Prisoners An audience of old folks in the neat-tiered theatre,
The play about prisoners:
Well-constructed set, competent acting.
- Radio play snippet The sea lashed and splashed the promenade in half-hearted whispers …
- Rain Rain – incessant, bitter, unrelenting,
Water smearing down house fronts,
Gathering in vast roadside puddles,
Spitting from ...
- Relic Stolen out of her era to live here,
Of hers but a dim reflection,
She dwells upon ...
- Round Robin To all our dear friends –
It’s that time of year again!
Phoebe is now fifteen and ...
- Sea The roared thundering salt-white sea-flung wall
Foams, wells, forms fermenting froth fiercely sprung
From forced fractured underswell’s ...
- See, on this summer’s ripple of love See, on this summer’s ripple of love
How the wind blows soft through your hair,
And the ...
- Seven years old Sometimes when she screams
The violence of her emotions
Is only matched by mine
In a growing tide ...
- Short Monster Poems The Snarkel
The Snarkel has a hairy face
With warts the size of feet,
It spends its life ...
- Short poems
Still trees stand proud by the neck of the river
Still trees stand proud by the ...
- Short poems for kids The whale
The whale sailed slow beneath the moon,
Its baby by its side,
Crossing oceans three miles ...
- Shy like a bright whisper Shy like a bright whisper she rearranges her mind in neatness
And humbles herself in oblivion,
- Sleep, sleep the silent night Sleep, sleep the silent night,
The moon up high and the stars so bright,
A frost on ...
- Slug On a bed of foot-spittle
Glides through the night towards dreams of vegetation,
Will devour in one ...
- Snow and the snow I remember the snow falling,
Thick in gobbets,
The chill wind blowing out of the North and ...
- Spider Tight arms on a tight web,
Thick-gobbed strands hawser-like
Stretched between mountains of dark and light,
A lifetime ...
As soft as a breeze
And covered in dew,
A trap for the tiny
Is waiting for you,
- Sport And so the season of sport is upon us:
Cricket, and the sound of willow hitting ...
- Success Success is the wind in the trees,
A star in the night,
The green of grass,
The weight ...
- Teenage daughter
The terrible witch
Is a bit of a bitch,
Rude to the crows and the people she ...
- Teenager Slip into sunshine,
Between the shrieks and calls of this strange creature
Bellowing for the wild wind ...
- The Bank was Big, the Bank was Strong The Bank was Big,
The Bank was Strong,
The Bank was Never In The Wrong:
It fleeced its ...
- The Book The book came alive, wept,
Dragged him in,
Pointing out its sorrow –
The book let him sleep ...
- The Boooooooogies Don’t you dare go out there,
It’s where the booooooogies hide,
They nibble at your fingertips,
Then wriggle ...
- The Curse The Curse was born in darkness:
Struggled to get out,
Beat off light,
Grew wings and flew,
Screeched its’ ...
- The Drumbeat Poem Annabelle was Peter’s friend,
Peter’s friend was Tom:
Tom was very steady,
Tom was very strong.
Tom began to ...
- The false teacher Good Morning,
I am your Teacher –
My name is Master So-Hum.
In English I am known as ...
- The Frightening Dark at night
And the stars aglow,
Crunching on gravel
And the winds blowing fierce
And then it ...
- The ghost in the puddle The ghost in the puddle looked out with dark eyes,
Its mouth shimmering, stretching, making small ...
- The Little Drone The little drone climbed the stairs.
Climbing stairs was easy for the little drone,
Because his mind ...
- The Marine and the Terrorist The Marine
I’m the good guy, you’re the bad guy,
I’m fighting for freedom.
I want to do ...
- The Old Warrior Major General Gutless (retd.)
Looked sombrely at the War, declared it invalid:
This proud MG pronounced ...
- The Paignton Fishermen The Paignton fishermen pause on the long reach of the harbour wall,
Eyes in meditation, brains ...
- The plane trees of France At night they move, great shadows on the march,
Positioning themselves on the bends of roads,
- The Prayer Our scientists have invented a weapon which,
Can destroy the world:
We would ask you to ...
- The Shadow At first the shadow smiled.
Darkness has no weight, and its smile was as empty as ...
- The Smile The Smile was sinister,
Landed on a mountain and
(Like all sinister smiles do)
Across the fertile ...
- The Spaceship came out of the Sun The spaceship came out of the sun,
Diving head-first in a ball of flame to a ...
- The Stairs The Stairs
Into that puddle of dark
At the bottom,
Glistening and unexpected,
A trap to be sprung,
- The Stress of Living Sometimes the stress of living wraps me like a knife,
Pressed close to my skin
- The Thermobarbaric bomb The Thermobarbaric bomb
Sucks air from caves,
Ruptures the liver and spleen,
The Thermobarbaric bomb
Is deployed ...
- The THING I fished in the lake with buttercups
Tied on a long piece of string,
I caught a ...
- The Toilet The Toilet sucked and sucked,
Sucked so hard it drew blood,
Sucked and sucked so strong and ...
- The War The war brought out their misfortune,
Laid every problem bare,
Revealed what hopes they had were none
(Though nothing ...
- The War on Stupidity That year, five giant transporters took off from the Capital,
Each loaded with a hospital,
Air-dropped into ...
- The World was her world The world was her world –
Smiles on empty faces crowded in to eat her ...
- Their grief Like leaden weights they hung their grief around their child,
Torn from her world of sunshine ...
- They said, ‘There’s no such thing as God’ They said, ‘There’s no such thing as God –
We’ve proved it in this book:
The figures ...
- This is my house This is my house, and you are a guest in it.
Please – leave when you ...
- This Painted Breath This painted breath you see before your eyes
Is a darkling curse to hide bitter dross,
- This woman walks down the road This woman walks down the road
(With a blank face of despair)
(That can only be ...
- Through the dust of emptiness Through the dust of emptiness
That is the space between your dreams and mine
That in ...
- Thunder on the rails Thunder on the rails, the evil train storms by,
Black as the soul of satan, steam ...
- Tickets please! No one with brains uses trains:
Far easier to hop there,
And cheaper still if you hire ...
- To Skate Your legs become at one with the ice,
Warmth that flows into the cold –
The ice, ...
- Tumour I was in the room when the tumour was announced,
Though not so much announced as ...
- Tyrannosaurus REX! Tyrannosaurus REX
Eats through your bones with one little SNAP,
Juggles your head for a moment in ...
- We Banished Nature We banished Nature, made it bleed
(As if Nature ever had the need for us).
Clouds shine ...
- Welcome to Tanzania! Welcome to Tanzania:
Here poverty is so way off the scale that normal poverty looks rich.
- When I sulk Oh, I’ve sulked,
Hidden in that neck of the woods
At the bottom of my garden
- Where troubles play Where troubles play, the feeling’s light,
The world comes out to see:
The wind is calling to ...
- Wild-winged poem A wild-winged poem burrowed into my brain,
Crashed and spun and tore through neurones,
Hooked into nerves,
- With A Scamper of Knitted Legs With a scamper of knitted legs
She heads for sanctuary,
Pretends to be busy, refuses first-rate,
Grows wanton, ...
- You were just hit by a vortex of uncertainty A swirl of chaos spins across the room –
Doors open, a phone rings, a drink ...