Hope you enjoy these poems!
- A Long Time Ago (3) A short funny poem about living in the age of dinosaurs
- A thought? Good God! (12) A cynical poem about conformity
- A time of change (8) A poem about 9/11 questioning the root causes
- Against the wall (0) Supermarket ‘colleagues’, backs to the wall, low-paid, lip service
- Alien (40) What would you do if an alien landed in the playground?
- As I walked home (0) A poem about the characters met on the walk through life
- Blackberries (0) Going blackberrying as children
- Change (6) Changing myself, and finding my true nature
- Christianity and Islam (0) Living the middle way, without extremism
- Curled up like a child (1) Slumbering in the early morning with my girlfriend
- Dragon Flying Test (7) Short silly poem
- Eating Chestnuts (2) Hunting for chestnuts as a family
- Every morning, every day (0) Getting ready for the early morning school run !
- Eyes like a hawk (0) Humorous look at all the skills necessary to bring up children
- Feline Fandango (1) A poem about haughty, crazy cats
- Ferdie was a pit bull (15) Ferdie was a pit bull,
With a face like squashed-up beef –
His owner washed his coat ...
- Free-spread the wings of mystery (1) The mystery of childhood
- Freedom Dust (5) Cynical poem about ‘framing’, using words to alter perceptions
- Glimpse of the future (1) A child looking ahead at the future
- God Bless America! (3) God loves all nations, I suspect
- God, I wish I was an ignorant lump of meat (1) God, I wish I was an ignorant lump of meat
To mix unthinking with unthinking sheep,
- Gold Moon (0) A still night, sparks flying up to the moon
- Height was born to distinguish between low and low (0) Height was born
To distinguish between low and low.
Height was sent to
All owed ...
- Hospital Nightmare (0) No one wants their partner to die in a hospital
- Hours into hours (2) Poem about life and living
- How to Create a Ghetto – a Dish for one Community (14) The creation of an immigrants’ ghetto
- I am (0) I am: useless, fool, most stupid of them all,
I am Curse, and hide, and sometimes ...
- I am no stranger to these people (5) Suburban life and not connecting to other people
- I am the Guardian of treasure (2) Protecting our children from bad influences
- I could walk on clouds (1) Our imagination can take us anywhere …
- I had a hope, I touched a dream (1) The journey through life
- I know what men are (13) I know what men are.
Men drink and are routinely unfaithful,
Can’t see beyond the ends of ...
- I know what women are (6) I know what women are.
Women drag knives down each others’ backs,
Stick in the small-minded safety ...
- I love you when you pick your nose (19) I love you when you pick your nose,
I love you when you fart;
A love like ...
- I met a little dog on the bottom of my shoe (5) Anti dog-poo poem
- I was 18 when they married me (0) I was 18 when they married me,
16 when I died:
15 and my hopes were full,
- I watched the miracle (0) I watched the whole miracle:
The child on his mother’s arm, walking home,
The teacher leaping in ...
- I’m not racist BUT … (1) I’m not racist BUT –
These people are inferior to me,
Their kids pick on my kids ...
- In the wake of the World Trade Centre, and before going to War (1) Mindlessly getting ready for war
- It’s boring being a monster (24) It’s boring being a monster,
Chasing kids around,
Hiding underneath their beds,
Not making any sound –
It’s boring ...
- It’s in the building that the job comes alive (0) It’s in the building that the job comes alive –
The hammering of nails, the grasping ...
- Katrina (0) In orderly file the rich, white people drove out of desolation.
The sun was dark with ...
- London Calling (0) Falluja
The terrorists destroyed mosques and schools,
Killed maybe a thousand people,
Flattened half the houses.
No comparison to ...
- Losing me (3) I had, inside, a bit that was ‘me’,
That responded to certain calls like a bird ...
- Madman (0) Drug-crazed, bellowing
- Me and my video recorder (0) Programming a video recorder
- Meet the Neighbours (0) A UFO flits into existence,
Flips off its lights, hovers.
‘Hmmm’, go the Aliens.
‘Roger, Over and Out,’ ...
- Mister Cat had far to go (0) A cat kicked out into the snow at Christmas
- Mrs. Conservative (1) She lived in a neat world,
Hair just right, jewellery just so,
Clothes freshly washed, shoes unscuffed,
- My companion (0) Looking after a baby
- My Golden Girl (3) Love poem for my wife
- My Neighbours (0) Post-9/11 mentality
- My Understanding (1) Drawing classes changed the way I look at the world
- Nan’s funeral (0) In the cold aloofness of death and the silence of the half-hour tale completed
We rode ...
- News! (0) The endless cycle of news!
- Nihilism (0) Every age has its nihilists, for sure,
But nihilists don’t find fertile ground
In the rich and ...
- Oh Queenie – an odious reflection on the funeral of the Queen Mother (1) Bye bye Queen Mother
- Old Times (0) When she said she wanted to see him
He was pleased – at first.
‘Can’t we talk ...
- On silent trees (1) On silent trees, on hanging breeze,
On sun’s shared moments shaping these
A river’s rush cools dappled ...
- On the run (0) The rich became poor:
In Africa the refugees were given no shelter –
Their welcome ran dry ...
- Polar Bear (4) Polar bear going mad in a zoo, a long time ago now
- Poor Young Men (1) Poor young men.
Driven by sexual hunger they watch the girls in the streets,
Their clothes, the ...
- Prisoners (0) An audience of old folks in the neat-tiered theatre,
The play about prisoners:
Well-constructed set, competent acting.
- Radio play snippet (0) Radio play snippet
- Rain (0) Rain – incessant, bitter, unrelenting,
Water smearing down house fronts,
Gathering in vast roadside puddles,
Spitting from ...
- Relic (0) Stolen out of her era to live here,
Of hers but a dim reflection,
She dwells upon ...
- Sea (1) The roared thundering salt-white sea-flung wall
Foams, wells, forms fermenting froth fiercely sprung
From forced fractured underswell’s ...
- See, on this summer’s ripple of love (0) See, on this summer’s ripple of love
How the wind blows soft through your hair,
And the ...
- Seven years old (0) Sometimes when she screams
The violence of her emotions
Is only matched by mine
In a growing tide ...
- Short Monster Poems (0) The Snarkel
The Snarkel has a hairy face
With warts the size of feet,
It spends its life ...
- Short poems (0) Random short poems
- Short poems for kids (156) Very short silly poems for young children
- Shy like a bright whisper (0) Shy like a bright whisper she rearranges her mind in neatness
And humbles herself in oblivion,
- Sleep, sleep the silent night (1) Watching a sleeping child
- Slug (0) On a bed of foot-spittle
Glides through the night towards dreams of vegetation,
Will devour in one ...
- Snow and the snow (0) Snow poem
- Spider (0) Tight arms on a tight web,
Thick-gobbed strands hawser-like
Stretched between mountains of dark and light,
A lifetime ...
- Spider-trap (1)
As soft as a breeze
And covered in dew,
A trap for the tiny
Is waiting for you,
- Sport (0) Humorous and cynical
- Success (1) Success is the wind in the trees,
A star in the night,
The green of grass,
The weight ...
- Teenage daughter (2)
The terrible witch
Is a bit of a bitch,
Rude to the crows and the people she ...
- Teenager (1) Slip into sunshine,
Between the shrieks and calls of this strange creature
Bellowing for the wild wind ...
- The Book (13) The book came alive, wept,
Dragged him in,
Pointing out its sorrow –
The book let him sleep ...
- The Boooooooogies (3) Don’t you dare go out there,
It’s where the booooooogies hide,
They nibble at your fingertips,
Then wriggle ...
- The Curse (34) Poem about a curse
- The Drumbeat Poem (9) Teaching basic rhythms
- The Frightening (18) Dark at night
And the stars aglow,
Crunching on gravel
And the winds blowing fierce
And then it ...
- The ghost in the puddle (2) The ghost in the puddle looked out with dark eyes,
Its mouth shimmering, stretching, making small ...
- The Marine and the Terrorist (5) The Marine
I’m the good guy, you’re the bad guy,
I’m fighting for freedom.
I want to do ...
- The Paignton Fishermen (0) The Paignton fishermen pause on the long reach of the harbour wall,
Eyes in meditation, brains ...
- The plane trees of France (0) At night they move, great shadows on the march,
Positioning themselves on the bends of roads,
- The Shadow (19) At first the shadow smiled.
Darkness has no weight, and its smile was as empty as ...
- The Smile (2) The Smile was sinister,
Landed on a mountain and
(Like all sinister smiles do)
Across the fertile ...
- The Spaceship came out of the Sun (0) The spaceship came out of the sun,
Diving head-first in a ball of flame to a ...
- The Stairs (5) The Stairs
Into that puddle of dark
At the bottom,
Glistening and unexpected,
A trap to be sprung,
- The Thermobarbaric bomb (0) The Thermobarbaric bomb
Sucks air from caves,
Ruptures the liver and spleen,
The Thermobarbaric bomb
Is deployed ...
- The THING (0) I fished in the lake with buttercups
Tied on a long piece of string,
I caught a ...
- The Toilet (8) The Toilet sucked and sucked,
Sucked so hard it drew blood,
Sucked and sucked so strong and ...
- The War on Stupidity (3) That year, five giant transporters took off from the Capital,
Each loaded with a hospital,
Air-dropped into ...
- Their grief (0) Like leaden weights they hung their grief around their child,
Torn from her world of sunshine ...
- This is my house (0) This is my house, and you are a guest in it.
Please – leave when you ...
- This woman walks down the road (0) This woman walks down the road
(With a blank face of despair)
(That can only be ...
- Through the dust of emptiness (0) A toddler perceiving the existence of the Big World
- Thunder on the rails (3) Thunder on the rails, the evil train storms by,
Black as the soul of satan, steam ...
- To Skate (1) Your legs become at one with the ice,
Warmth that flows into the cold –
The ice, ...
- Tumour (0) I was in the room when the tumour was announced,
Though not so much announced as ...
- Tyrannosaurus REX! (7) Tyrannosaurus REX
Eats through your bones with one little SNAP,
Juggles your head for a moment in ...
- We Banished Nature (4) How we’ve damaged Nature
- When I sulk (3) Oh, I’ve sulked,
Hidden in that neck of the woods
At the bottom of my garden
- Where troubles play (0) Where troubles play, the feeling’s light,
The world comes out to see:
The wind is calling to ...
- Wild-winged poem (1) A wild-winged poem burrowed into my brain,
Crashed and spun and tore through neurones,
Hooked into nerves,
- With A Scamper of Knitted Legs (0) Wild toddler child
- You were just hit by a vortex of uncertainty (0) A swirl of chaos spins across the room –
Doors open, a phone rings, a drink ...